Title: CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT IN THE WASH SECTOR OF ETHIOPIA
This is the fifth position paper in a series of five produced through the 2017-2019 Millennium Water Alliance Bridge Program in Ethiopia. When considering how to improve capacity in Ethiopia’s WASH sector, it is important to take into account the following factors:
- Priorities in capacity development should include operations and maintenance for already-existing water points.
- Significant capacity gaps surrounding the WASH sector exist in government, communities, educational institutions and the private sector.
- Ability gaps exist around preliminary assessment, planning, design and quality control of WASH facilities.
- Women are significantly underrepresented in government and private sector WASH work.
- The WASH sector is increasingly opening up opportunities for private sector roles, but private sector capacity – such as business operations, quality control and WASH knowledge – are limited.
- Focus areas can include monitoring, water quality and use of life-cycle costing for improved functionality.
Catégorie : Politiques et régulation du secteur Eau, Assainissement & Hygiène